Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rummage

I've been volunteering at a local rummage sale, and this was the prime place to be asked about my height. Something about the over-40 crowd leads them to believe that they have authority to ask.

And only rarely does it bother me, but this encounter left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Woman: "OH MY GOD. How tall are you? holy cow!"
Me: "Haha. I'm almost 6'2"
Woman: "No way. You are WAY taller than that."

I was speechless. What was she thinking? Was she saying that I was LYING? i NEVER lie! I wish that I had said:

Me: "REALLY? Lady, you are wearing all denim. Leave me alone."

4 comments:

  1. hahaha you should have said, "You're right! I am actually 8 feet tall! Crazy huh?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog and watched your video and am so glad I did. It goes without saying that your story could be my story (I'm 6'2" even though people have accused me of being 6'3").

    Of all the daily interactions with people, the most noteworthy took place in a bathroom a few months back. Exiting the stall, I was accosted by a woman who told me she had been looking at my feet while I was in the stall and knew I had to be tall (!). Then the usual questioning took place, and the disturbing encounter closed with her telling me about her tall friend. Creep.

    Thanks for the laughs from your video and blog and I look forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly! Haha I love meeting (normal) people who can sympathize. And I am cracking up about your story in the stall. What's sad is that it doesn't entirely surprise me... people are so weird. Last week someone asked me if I knew that I was tall... as if I hadn't realized it.

    I'll try to post back more often- the real world is taking a toll on my free time and shortening my patience slash tolerance of people who want to know about my height.

    as i side note, youtube analytics says that my tall video is the most popular in the cook islands... which leads me to wonder if there are lots of tall people there. future vacation destination??

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey! totally diggin' your blog. i have a tall girl blog too. :) I'm a 6 footer. Even though I DID play basketball in college, your video cracked me up and i can totally relate.

    http://thatonetallgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete